Timeline

R.H Macy, a Nantucket native, returns from a whaling voyage and opens a dry goods store at the top of Main Street. Years later he would open a business in New York City – Macy’s Department Store.

1843

Under new ownership the store is renovated and opened as The Toggery Shop. Philip Murray Jr. is hired as manager.

1916

1945

Murray purchases the store and renames it Murray’s Toggery Shop. He commits to keeping the store open year-round, because locals need shirts and shoes too! 

1960

Murray’s eldest son, Philip C. Murray, introduces a canvas cloth inspired by the red sails dotting the coast of Brittany France. After repeat washing and exposure to sea breezes these distinctive pants soften and fade. Nantucket Reds are born!

1963

Murray purchases the neighboring Coffin Dry Goods store and expands, adding a new women’s department and shoe section. The Toggery Shop brings in some new brands, including a cute shoe, Keds, and a pant that would become somewhat popular, Levi Jeans.

1980

Recognition of the signature Nantucket Reds apparel grows and is proclaimed by the Official Preppy Handbook as the “de rigueur at country and yacht club affairs with a blazer and club tie.”

1984

A massive renovation adds a full basement, expands the second floor, and installs an elevator that would become one of two on Island. After several hundred joy rides, Murray’s grandchildren were banned from the elevator and would not ride again until early 1986.

1989

John Murray sells his old Boston Whaler to some guys who want to sell juice in the harbor. They did ok.

1990

A third generation takes the helm, with Murray’s children, Patricia and John, and son-in-law Gilles Bridier steering the shop’s growth toward the end of a century, and the beggining of a new millenium.

1996

The digital age makes it across the Sound and up the cobblestone roads. NantucketReds.com is launched and becomes the Island’s first online store.

1998

Murray’s decides to try out a new little company from Martha’s Vineyard and becomes the first store to carry Vineyard Vines.

2007

A renovation to the mens department includes the addition of a Castaway Clothing section and off the charts style introduced by Islanders Andrew and Matt Bridier.

2020

The ladies department and shoe salon is completely updated, including the removal of some 12 year-old horse-hair plaster, but the shop’s character and charm is preserved. The store’s classic facade also gets a fresh coat of paint.

2022

After more than 75 years Murray’s is looking ahead to its 100th anniversary with Philip Murray’s grandchildren committed to keeping the doors open and tradition alive. Style might evolve over the years, but the spirit of the place has not changed!


Nantucket has seen plenty of things come and go, and Murray’s Toggery Shop is proud to hold a spot with its Main Street neighbor, Sylvia Antiques, as the Island’s two longest running businesses.

Timeline mobile

5/4/22

1843

R.H Macy, a Nantucket native, returns from a whaling voyage and opens a dry goods store at the top of Main Street. Years later he would open a business in New York City – Macy’s Department Store.

1916

Under new ownership the store is renovated and opened as The Toggery Shop. Philip Murray Jr. is hired as manager.

1945

Murray purchases the store and renames it Murray’s Toggery Shop. Something something, something, something point of interest.

1960

Murray’s eldest son, Philip C. Murray, introduces a canvas cloth inspired by the red sails dotting the coast of Brittany France. After repeat washing and exposure to sea breezes these distinctive pants soften and fade. Nantucket Reds are born!

`

1963

Murray purchases the neighboring Coffin Dry Goods store and expands, adding a new women’s department and shoe section. The Toggery Shop brings in some new brands, including a cute shoe, Keds, and a pant that would become somewhat popular, Levi Jeans.

1980

Recognition of the signature Nantucket Reds apparel grows and is proclaimed by the Official Preppy Handbook as the “de rigueur at country and yacht club affairs with a blazer and club tie.”

1984

A massive renovation adds a full basement, expands the second floor, and installs an elevator that would become one of two on Island. After several hundred joy rides, Murray’s grandchildren were banned from the elevator and would not ride again until early 1986.

1989

John Murray sells his old Boston Whaler to some guys who want to sell juice in the harbor. They did ok.

1990

A third generation takes the helm, with Murray’s children, Patricia and John, and son-in-law Gilles Bridier steering the shop’s growth toward the end of a century, and the beggining of a new millenium.

1996

The digital age makes it across the Sound and up the cobblestone roads. NantucketReds.com is launched and becomes the Island’s first online store.

1998

Murray’s decides to try out a new little company from Martha’s Vineyard and becomes the first store to carry Vineyard Vines.

2007

A renovation to the mens department includes the addition of a Castaway Clothing section and off the charts style introduced by Islanders Andrew and Matt Bridier.

2020

The ladies department and shoe salon is completely updated, including the removal of some 12 year-old horse-hair plaster, but the shop’s character and charm is preserved. The store’s classic facade also gets a fresh coat of paint.

2022

After more than 75 years Murray’s is looking ahead to its 100th anniversary with Philip Murray’s grandchildren committed to keeping the doors open and tradition alive. Style might evolve over the years, but the spirit of the place has not changed!

Nantucket has seen plenty of things come and go, and Murray’s Toggery Shop is proud to hold a spot with its Main Street neighbor, Sylvia Antiques, as the Island’s two longest running businesses.